Choose the word or set of words that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. The term conservationist had been defined by some as a person who believes that the natural world is endlessly __________ and beautiful, and therefore as much of it as possible should be __________.
A. irrational - preserved B. abhorrent - salvaged C. fascinating - saved D. exhilarative - promoted E. appealing - distinguished
2. The country is a regional __________, an absolute but highly dynamic monarchy that has created an economic __________ out of little more than vision, geography and will.
A. anomaly - powerhouse B. synchronicity - giant C. incongruity - dwarf D. paradox - dependency E. discrepancy - power
3. Airspan Airline's long and __________ search for a partner finally __________ last week when the bankrupt Dutch airline agreed to merge with Airlex .
A. arduous - ended B. extended - concluded C. joyous - consigned D. fortuitous - stopped E. laborious - proceeded
4. Savvy leaders know that there is no single map for __________ leadership; the rules change depending on whom you are guiding and the __________ around you.
A. altruistic - contradictions B. effective - conditions C. successful - natives D. abysmal - situation E. topical - criteria
5. Founded in 1976, the Benjamin Franklin Literary & Medical Society has become a leading ___________ of information on health and medicine for the general ___________.
A. source - public B. well - citizenry C. scourge - populous D. font - community E. resource - civilians
6. ___________ in the University's Research Park , the Patton Center is the catalyst that brings together the people and ideas necessary for ___________ successful enterprises.
A. Found - beginning B. Stationed - setting C. Lying - inaugurating D. Facing - fixating E. Located - launching
7. Every healthy body at rest ___________ a certain amount of energy just keeping the organs functioning and blood ___________.
A. expends - circulating B. puts off - clotting C. using - pushing D. burning - flow E. endeavors - mingling
8. Businessmen and investors may be ___________ a little easier now that the initial fears ___________ by the elections of leftist presidents in neighboring countries have been muffled.
A. living - released B. working - tipped off C. breathing - unleashed D. thinking - forestalled E. pondering - untapped
9. First hired in 1972 as ___________ staff writer for The Examiner, Frank Gordon has since fashioned a career in journalism ___________ over three decades.
A. a budding - taking B. a novice - reeling C. an introductory - sponging D. an eager - spanning E. a top - straddling
10. Researchers say it will be several years before computer programs will accurately ___________ fire behavior the way television weathermen tell viewers where a hurricane or a ___________ is heading.
A. precede - rainfall B. predict - cloud C. prepare - shower D. forecast - blizzard E. forbear - tornado