Choose the word or set of words that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. As the last __________ slice of Atlantic coastal plain bordering the continent's vast equatorial rain forests, the region, known as the Gamba Complex, is a biologically __________ mosaic of forests, savannas, lagoons, lakes and beaches that, until recently, was virtually unknown to science.
A. underdeveloped - luxuriant B. uncharted - broken C. examined - plentiful D. undeveloped - rich E. explored - abounding
2. __________ temporary power lines and data cables, huddled around laptops and editing equipment, journalists and technicians were __________ out news to many outposts.
A. Among - burning B. Although - turning C. Using - tossing D. Despite - writing E. Amid - churning
3. More than 80 schools have been __________, with similar rehabilitation works in progress or in the final stages of __________.
A. achieved - configuration B. jointed - formulation C. ended - sponsorship D. finished - reproduction E. completed - planning
4. The proposed random testing plan has brought a debate to Virginia that was already __________ in national political __________ .
A. intense - opinions B. flouncing - rings C. floundering - groups D. talking - parties E. raging - circles
5. Miller unveiled his __________ research plan to the committee last Tuesday; he expects to have a final plan ready for a __________ by January.
A. preliminary - vote B. luminous - printing C. concluding - decision D. definitive - judgment E. ultimate -verdict
6. ___________ an increase in attacks on the existing technology, Netfix said that it would release features across its line of network firewall products.
A. Mentioning - B. Talking - C. Combining - D. Citing - E. Toting -
7. Euthanasia, the act of humanely ___________ animals that are hopelessly sick or ___________, is a controversial topic.
A. maiming - hurt B. executing - wounding C. slaughtering - wounded D. killing - injured E. assassinating - injuring
8. Today Calder is the youngest by nearly two generations at the veteran's hospital, where he ___________ therapy and ___________.
A. undergoes - rehabilitation B. has - restoration C. does - healing D. suffers - analysis E. experiences - treatment
9. An extensive archaeological excavation has ___________ a lost city that is believed to be one of the ___________ jewels in the ancient civilization of the Maya.
A. unearthed - crowning B. buried - shining C. uncovered - glowing D. bared - crowned E. obscured - buffed The best answer is . Excavations remove objects from the earth therefore, unearthed is an appropriate choice. Crowning jewels is idiomatic. Though the economy ___________ through a recession in 2001, super-low interest rates have ___________ demand for mortgages, which has encouraged a boom in mortgage refinancing. A. battled - incited B. conceded - impelled C. suffered - fueled D. slogged - driven E. smudged - posited
10. To accompany the book, Freeman ___________ has a new ___________ of digital photographs spanning 30 years.
A. as well - rehearsal B. also - exhibition C. additionally - D. too - revision E. besides - showing