Choose the word or set of words that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. James Colin has ___________ his sound on numerous occasions throughout his career -- all the while ___________ a contemporary tone.
A. retuned - preserving B. revamped - maintaining C. evolved - upholding D. fabricated - sustaining E. metamorphosed - composing
2. The credibility of The Evening Guardian has made it a valuable ___________ for reaching medical consumers and for helping medical researchers obtain family ___________.
A. means - histories B. viaduct - records C. tool - kinship D. transducer - past E. affiliate - associations
3. As recently as the 1980s, production far outstripped ___________, and the government was paying dairy farmers $1 billion to thin their herds while it bought tons of ___________ cheese.
A. supply - extra B. planning - unwanted C. demand - surplus D. quota - surreptitious E. billing - supercilious
4. Today, as in the ___________, whether for chefs ___________ their restaurants with fresh produce, or customers interested in homemade cakes and preserves, farmers' markets promise not only freshness but sociability.
A. country - stocking B. past - supplying C. secret - hoarding D. history - supplied E. east - collecting
5. Diego silenced the ___________ and turned her passion for scrapbooks into a successful retail and ___________ business.
A. devotees - public B. enthusiasts - marketable C. detractors - economic D. concordances - profitable E. skeptics - wholesale
6. ___________ in the history of this great country have there been more annoying commercials on the public ___________.
A. Once - systems B. Ever - channels C. Sometimes - broadcasts D. Never - airwaves E. Always - television
7. What was a ruthlessly effective way of enhancing their electoral fortunes has developed into a compulsion never to allow any leader much of a chance to ___________.
A. persist B. impeach C. command D. impersonate E. direct
8. blank are feasible, a blizzard is more similar to hurricane than some of the other choices, and therefore is better. Low short-term borrowing costs may give consumers and businesses an ___________ to spend and invest more and ___________ boost economic growth.
A. enticement - thusly B. stimulant - nevertheless C. incentive - thus D. inducement - consecutively E. supplement - therefore
9. The company's plan is to ___________ costs while trying to exploit its traditional strengths in entertainment and video games - particularly with new networked and wireless consumer ___________.
A. trim - devices B. skimp - gadgets C. clip - contraptions D. shape - implements E. wedge - widgets
10. Under the emerging plan, the cuts would not take ___________ if hospitals agreed to provide the data that the administration has requested.