Choose the word or set of words that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. There is growing ___________ that a child's earliest experiences have a more ___________ and long-lasting effect on subsequent health than had been previously thought.
A. testimony - significant B. thought - transitory C. spurt - obsequious D. reflection - peaceable E. evidence - powerful
2. Following years of generous stock options, corporate jets and other ___________, boards are ___________ their belts when it comes to executive pay.
A. perks - B. liabilities - C. benefits - tightening D. encumbrances - E. prosperity -
3. The federal and provincial governments launched the National Children's Agenda six years ago to work ___________ eliminating child poverty, yet progress is ___________.
A. with - exclusive B. on - indefinable C. about - ethereal D. toward - elusive E. near - intangible
4. Change is particularly difficult for some animals, especially ___________ who have been used to the same daily ___________ for a long time.
A. them - grind B. those - routine C. these - habit D. critters - habitat E. whomever - habitation
5. According to Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection, an animal's success in the gene ___________ is measured by the number of offspring it ___________ raises to pass on its DN
A. A. source - substantially B. swamp - joyfully C. pool - successfully D. base - productively E. chromosome - verdantly
6. Statistically, the 3,300 responses ___________ the opinions (accurate to plus or minus two percent) of the 154 million American adults who have traveled over the ___________ three years.
A. face - last B. focus - first C. preclude - coming D. represent - past E. repress - forthcoming
7. Many of these prizes are ___________ at the Faculty of Business presentation ceremony ___________ is held in June for the preceding academic year.
A. designated -who B. relegated - that C. awarded - which D. stultified - in which E. given - where
8. The most successful remodeling projects begin with homeowners ___________ have a imaginative, yet ___________, idea of what they want done.
A. that - sensational B. where - pragmatic C. which - inspired D. whom - dazzling E. who - realistic
9. Despite Bettleman's pleadings and progress at the bargaining ___________, key issues remained ___________.
A. block - unhampered B. discussion - unsolved C. board - hampered D. table - unresolved E. chair - reprimanded
10. Swift Airlines pilots have approved a measure allowing their union, the Air Line Pilots Association, to call a ___________ at one of the nation's largest regional carriers in a ___________ over a new contract.
A. truce - disagreement B. ceasefire - disparity C. strike - dispute D. party - prong E. bash - gap