1. ___ were stones piled at intervals
2. _____ of staging a play that help the audience understand its structure and meaning
3. The seating of musicians in an orchestra is arranged __________to produce the desired blend of sounds from the various musical sections
4. The teacher suggested that her students ________ experiences with ESP.
5. ________, the jaguar used to roam freely in the southwestern United States.
6. On the slope of Long's Peak in Colorado ________ the ruin of a gigantic tree.
7. Penguins, the most highly specialized of all aquatic birds, may live ________ twenty years.
8. From 1926 until her death, Margaret Mead ________ New York's American Museum ofNatural History.
9. By praying outside saloons, throwing rocks in saloon windows, and destroying saloons with her hatchet, ________.
10. After the funeral, the residents of the apartment building ________.
11. George belongs to the ________
12. A vacuum will neither conduct heat nor ________.
13. The seed heads of teasel plants raise the nap on coarse tweed cloth ________ than do the machine tools invented to replace them.
14. Only ________ of the breeds of cattle have been brought to the United States.
15. One purpose ________ to decide if there is sufficient evidence to try a person for a crime.
16. Florida has not yet ratified the Equal Rights Amendment, and ________.
17. Benjamin West contributed a great deal to American art: ________.
18. Jellyfish are probably ________ on Earth.
19. Neptune is an extremely cold planet, and ________.
20. Deserts are often formed ________ they are cut off from rain___bearing winds by the surrounding mountain ranges.