1. The spiral threads of a spider?s web have a sticky substance on them ___ insects.
2. The gibbon ranges over ___ other apes do.
3. There is evidence that prehistoric humans used fire ___ 400,000 B. C.
4. You can tell she has hit the ___ time because of the huge car she drives.
5. Oscillatona, one of the few plants that can move about, ________ a wavy, gliding motion.
6. The doctor told his receptionist that he would return ________
7. A log grabber has a long arm ________, which stretches out to pick up logs.
8. "The Good Earth", ________, is a novel set in China.
9. Henry will not be able to attend the meeting tonight because ________.
10. Once an offending allergen has been identified ________ tests, it is possible for the doctor to give specific desensitizing injections.
11. The commitee decided to award ________ a prize even though he didn't win.
12. Not until the mid-nineteenth century ________ achieve recognition.
13. ________ is not a new idea.
14. ________ were first viewed through a telescope by Galileo.
15. ________ New Jersey's proximity to New York, it is an important link in the nation's transportation system.
16. The city council is empowered not only to enact new laws, ________ select a new mayor between elections should the need arise.
17. Staying in a hotel costs ________ renting a room in a dormitory for a week.
18. The noise of the airplanes ________from the airport over our house was unbearable at times.
19. Not only knowledge and skills, but also attitudes ________ in school for students' future adjustment to society.
20. We had hoped ________ the game, but the other team played very well.