1. Angiosperms inhabit relatively diverse environments and may be found ___ higher plants can survive.
2. Gorillas are quiet animals, __________ they are able to make about twenty different sounds.
3. ___hardiness, daylilies can be cultivated particularly easily.
4. Somerset Maugham, a novelist, ________ about a restless man's quest for inner understanding in The Razor's Edge.
5. Sesame ________ a herbaceous plant native to the tropics.
6. Although the name was not popularized until the Middle Ages, engineering ________ civilization.
7. Although research scientists had hoped that the new drug interferon ________ to be a cure for cancer, its applications now appear to be more limited.
8. Black, red, and even bright pink diamonds ________.
9. The Federal Reserve System, ________ under President Wilson, plays a key role in regulating the U.S. economy.
10. Many books ________, but one of the best is "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.
11. Drying of meats and vegetables is no longer considered one of ________ of preserving food.
12. Due primarily to ________ the Oneida Community broke up in 1880.
13. The cyclist ________ he crossed the main street.
14. Although dissimilar in almost every other respect, birds and insects have both evolved efficient ________ capabilities.
15. The sea mammal medusa is popularly called a jellyfish because it ________ jelly.
16. Built at the beginning of the century, the Library of Congress houses one is of the largest ________ collections of books in the world.
17. ________ in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge spans the channel at the entrance to San Francisco Bay.
18. Despite claims that filters and low-tar tobacco make smoking somewhat safer, in fact they only marginally reduce, ________ eliminate, the hazards.
19. ________ the operation costs were rising so fast, the United Nations decided to reduce personnel by half.
20. The speaker is ________.